Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Resources Licensed for the MGH Community
- Consumer Lab Independent laboratory testing of dietary supplements, herbal medicines, vitamins and minerals, and nutritional products with reports listing brand name products.Also product recalls and warnings, and access to the Natural Pharmacist Encyclopedia.
- Lexicomp's CRL Online Home of the MGH Formulary, this collection of drug handbooks also includes Natural Therapeutics. Search herb or supplement name to bring up brief entries in the Lexi-Natural Products Online database.
- Natural Medicines (formerly Natural Standard and Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database) Dietary supplements, natural medicines, and complementary alternative and integrative therapies.
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Evidence-based, clinical information on natural medicines. Includes index by product name. Effectiveness checker. Personal profiles for drug interactions. Laboratory interactions. MGH Access.
Herbs and Dietary Supplements
- FDA Overview on Dietary Supplements Includes FDA regulatory information, factsheets for consumers and a link to a searchable listing of illness and injury reports associated with the use of nutritional supplements.
- Herbs at a Glance A series of fact sheets that provides basic information about specific herbs or botanicals—common names, uses, potential side effects, and resources for more information. From the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Dietary Supplement Subset, formerly IBIDS "A database designed to limit search results to citations from a broad spectrum of dietary supplement literature including vitamin, mineral, phytochemical, ergogenic, botanical, and herbal supplements in human nutrition and animal models."
- Office of Dietary Supplements Explores the role of dietary supplements in improving health care.